If you receive an offer to buy or sell outside eBay, please report it.
Watch the video series about our policy on offers to buy or sell outside of eBay:
- Part 1: What is the policy?
- Part 2: What happens if you breach the policy
- Part 3: Best practice guidelines for communicating with other users
What are the guidelines?
Buyers and sellers should:
Complete purchases on eBay in order to be covered by eBay protections and eBay Money Back Guarantee. Confirmation of a completed transaction on eBay can be obtained by:
- Using the eBay checkout to complete the purchase
- Viewing the purchase in purchase or sales history
- Use Best Offer or Seller Initiated Offer transactions to accept offers for items and negotiate a price
- Use the Private Offer feature to send a customized offer within Messages to sell to a specific buyer
Buyers and sellers can't:
- Engage in any action with a user on the site designed to complete or facilitate a transaction outside of eBay
Share or request direct contact information prior to completing a sale
Exception: Sellers may opt to provide their phone number as part of the Ask a Seller a Question (ASQ) or any other eBay endorsed functionality
In any communications with another eBay member, refer to or promote external websites that facilitate sales outside of eBay
Use contact information obtained through an eBay transaction to offer to buy or sell an item outside of eBay
List an item and then mention or link to additional identical or related items for sale outside of eBay
Offer catalogs or other items that are used to order items directly outside of eBay
Host item descriptions or images outside of eBay
Activity on eBay is required to:
- Follow all applicable laws
- Respect the rights of third parties
- Follow the eBay User Agreement
- Follow this eBay policy
If activity doesn’t meet these requirements, eBay may take action consistent with applicable laws and the eBay User Agreement, and may even be legally required to do so. Such actions may include, as an example only: administratively ending listings or cancelling transactions, hiding or lowering the placement of listings in search results, lowering seller rating, restricting buying or selling, forfeiture of fees, loss of buyer or seller protections, restricting access to member communication and rating tools, removing feedback, and account suspension.
Why does eBay have this policy?
Offers to buy or sell outside of eBay are a potential fraud risk for both buyers and sellers. Transactions conducted outside of eBay are not eligible for eBay protection programs and the eBay Money Back Guarantee. Additionally, eBay has invested a great deal to connect interested buyers with great sellers and we want to participate in ongoing transactions with them.