Collectible Graphic Novels
Graphic novels have become a sensation in the science fiction genre. These creative works combine the talents of writing, storytelling, and visual artwork.What is a graphic novel?
A graphic novel is similar to a comic book. In fact, to many they seem to be the same thing. The main difference between a graphic novel and a comic book is that the graphic novel tells a longer, more in-depth story. This tale is long like a novel. Some even have multiple editions of the book. Every graphic novel is a comic, but not every comic is a graphic novel.What makes graphic novels so different?
The regular novel combined with comic art gets you more immersed in the plot. These books usually have a rich plot history. Many involve superhero characters, and they use vivid details to create a comprehensive fictional world.How do you know if your comic is an original?
Most collectors want the first-edition of a comic or graphic novel. Here are a few ways to make sure you are getting the collectible you are looking for.
- Check cover: The word "reprint" is a giveaway that it is not an original.
- Check markings: Most originals state "#1" or "First Edition."
- Check age: Most originals are from the 1970s or earlier.
- Check advertisements: The ads should fit the time period of the original comic release.
Generations of children have loved a good comic or graphic novel. But not all are right for every age of child. Here are some ways to tell if a book is age appropriate.
- Reviews: Read online reviews.
- Read the summary: Usually located in the back of book, the summary gives a synopsis of the novel.
- Read it yourself: By reading it yourself, you can determine if it is appropriate for your child, and you may even like it.
There are several benefits to reading a comic book or graphic novel. In addition to telling a great story, a reader may find that this genre offers more than just entertainment.
- Literacy: Many teachers use comics and graphic novels to attract reluctant readers to books.
- Tradition: Graphic novels are a great way to pass down memories from parents to children.
- History: Many novels tackle historical problems from other times, giving the reader a sense of the past.
- Nostalgic gift: For some a graphic novel or comic reminds them of childhood and makes a great gift for a graphic novel or comic enthusiast.
A comic series is a compilation of stories that follow the same characters through various adventures. Every book usually contains both elements of that story as well as overarching story aspects.